How can one avoid being air condition scammed?
It is the time the year when you run your air conditioner almost 24/7. As much as you use any material it gets worn out, it needs to be maintained for longer use. Also, maintenance prevents your object from getting repairs very often. In case you face the unfortunate situation to have your air conditioner repaired, you need to watch out being scammed.
Ways to Avoid Being AC Scammed
Even if you are no expert technician, you can still identify minor problems like a wire being disconnected and more that can be fixed easily. Don’t call technician before checking your system yourself thoroughly first, or any dishonest repairman can overcharge you for a simple fix. You will be saving your money that way. Things you can look for yourself are:
- Is the breaker stable?
- Are the filters recently changed?
- Is the thermostat operating as it should?
- Is the debris piled up in the outside unit?
- A thorough Research
The virtual world and access to the internet have provided us with many benefits. You can create unlimited online resources through which you can find a credible repair company. You can view their background, the owner, their work-done, official sites state every minor to major details about the company. To avoid AC repair scams, check out the reviews and comments relating to the company.
- Ensure the company is insured and Licensed
You need to know that every repair companies are licensed. You can search for online sites that let you know whether the specific company is legal and licenses. These sites also inform you about the complaints and negative feedback so that you prevent getting your money wasted.
- Test the system completely before the tech leaves
Right before you hand over the final payment to the tech you hired, go through each part that the technician has worked on and inspect visually. On the system and make sure you feel a change in the results after the repair. If not, ask the technician to look into the system again.
Don’t hire any technician unless or until you are satisfied. You don’t want to waste your money on untrustworthy technicians even if the amount is very small. It will affect your system that is being repaired. You never know what part if your air conditioner is stolen. Beware when your hired company or repairman you called in acts suspicious or in the following way:
- Replaces parts that don’t even need any maintenance
- After the services when the repairman try to make an offer that is quite unbelievable or too great
- Claiming that you need to recharge your refrigerants just a scheme of unnecessary billing
- Insists you buy extra refrigerants and manages to make a double bill instead of one. You need to know that a pushy or pressurized deal is never too good.
- And the up-front payment procedure should be a straight rejection. No reputable company would ask for the cash payment before offering the service.